The Episcopal Church in Woodstock began in 1907 when a small group of Episcopalians started holding services in the Woodstock city council chambers located in the Opera House. Called the Mission of St. John’s, unfortunately it closed in 1911.
In 1933 twelve local Episcopalians worked to re-establish an Episcopal Church presence in Woodstock. In January of that year the Mission of St. Ann’s was opened. Originally, services were held in private homes, at the office of the Alemite Die-Casting Co., in an apartment at 467 West Jackson St., and in two rural schoolhouses.
In 1949, using the mission’s building fund and a $1,000 contribution from the Diocese of Chicago, the mission purchased the lot at 503 W. Jackson Street. After a successful ten-day building fund drive, and an anonymous donation of $35,000, ground was broken for the new church building on September 22, 1951. It was dedicated on June 8, 1952.
In January 1963, St. Ann’s purchased the 2-acre property to the east of the church. The house that stood on it was used for Sunday school classes and for other meetings. The Episcopal Church Women operated a thrift shop, named the “Pennywise Shop” in its basement. In 1966, that building became the rectory.
St. Ann’s achieved parish status in 1984. The parish continued to grow and classrooms along with an enlarged parish hall were added in 1987.
In 1990, the rectory was sold and the proceeds were used toward the costs of the addition. Continued growth during the 1990’s created the need to enlarge our worship space and a building fund campaign was begun in April, 1998. The groundbreaking for the new space was held October, 1999 and on Easter Sunday, 2000, the first service took place in the newly constructed worship space.